CyberCorps Scholarship for Service - FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions


Q: How do I apply for the CyberCorps® SFS?

Contact one of the Georgia Tech professors listed above. An application is required for the Federal CyberCorps® Scholarship for Service that is separate from other forms of financial aid. A decision is not made until student enrollment or acceptance into a resident degree program has been confirmed.

Q: Do I need letters of recommendation?

No, the letters that you supplied for the application into your Georgia Tech degree program (if they were required) are sufficient. We do not require additional letters of recommendation.

Q: Can I receive the scholarship while taking online courses?

No, it is necessary to be enrolled in an appropriate resident degree program. Georgia Tech does not award the CyberCorps® SFS to online students.

Q: How can I search for qualified internships or employment to meet my obligations under this scholarship?

You will be required to register on the CyberCorps® SFS website and complete an online resume, which government organizations will search for job candidates. You also will be provided with financial means to attend a job recruitment fair each January during the term supported by CyberCorps®. Additionally, you are encouraged to register at to proactively seek federal internship and employment opportunities. These sites provide current job vacancies and, in some cases, allow you to apply online.

Q: Where will I work?

You may fulfill your internship and job commitments at any federal, local, state or tribal agency; independent agency; government corporation, or commission. Students may also serve at a national laboratory or federally funded research development center (FFRDC), such as Sandia National Labs. A list of these organizations is provided at, at USAJobs, and at  If you receive an internship or job offer at one of the approved agencies, you are expected to accept. If you receive more than one offer, it is your choice which one you accept.

Q: What if I want to leave my job before the required period of service ends?

You must repay scholarship funds and stipends as a prorated amount equivalent to the length of time not served. Details are outlined in he Service Agreement.


Additional FAQs are listed on the federal government's Office of Personnel Management SFS website: